Thursday, May 17, 2012

God doesn't need gold

Posting this a few days late, we went to the temple on Saturday of last week 5/12/12

This post might seem offensive to some, but I am going to try my best to state my opinions without getting frustrated.

Yesterday, we went to a Catholic shrine named, Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament. (I'll post pictures at the end)  I went to experience the history and explore the religion some.  Some of Yisrael's family that was visiting are Catholic.
The shrine was a huge castle like building, complete with gift shop.  Once inside, the main chapel was huge.  The whole front was made of pure 24k gold. Everything was elaborate.  There was also a lower chapel that had more gold.  Marble and stone were also everywhere.  Walking through this place, seeing the confessionals and the expensive surroundings, I got mad.  Maybe that was the wrong response. I also felt sadness and pity.  Just be honest here.  I kept thinking about what Jesus would have done if He had walked into that temple.  How many homeless could that gold, stained glass, marble, etc. feed? How many lives could be changed if that building did not exist and the money was given to those that couldn't pay their light bill or buy food for their children.  I am not saying that the Catholic church is not giving, because they are one of the most giving church groups I know.  This does not only apply to Catholicism, many churches/denominations/religions have this prestigious mentality.  I am also not saying that all Catholic churches do this.  I was told by someone that the Catholics were proud of big buildings like this one and especially the Vatican.  Because the Vatican took three hundred years to build, it shows their faith to their religion has been strong for that many years.  It reminded of a passage in Acts 17: 22-31:  
"So Paul stood in the midst of the [s]Areopagus and said, “Men of Athens, I observe that you are very religious in all respects. 23 For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription, ‘TO AN UNKNOWN GOD.’ Therefore what you worship in ignorance, this I proclaim to you. 24  The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; 25 nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things; 26 and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, 27 that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28 for in Him we live and move and [t]exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His children.’ 29 Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man. 30 Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, 31 because He has fixed a day in which He will judge [u] the world in righteousness [v]through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men [w]by raising Him from the dead.” http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+17&version=NASB


By NO means am I saying that I am perfect, I often pay more attention to worldly things, rather than my God. This is a problem I greatly struggle with.  I just don't understand why the leaders of a church would be adding to this sin by creating a temple like this.  
As I walked through the chapels one of my favorite songs came to mind especially one line. "Our God is greater, our God is stronger
God You are higher than any other Our God is Healer, awesome and power Our God, Our God... There's no one like You, None like You, Into the darkness You shine, Out of the ashes we rise
There's no one like You, None like You"http://youtu.be/2AQ0Dv7kzoA

I am so glad that my God does not need anything from me, but love, trust, and faith.  God does not need earthly things.  He does not need anyone to mediate for him and I do not need anyone to interpret my prayers and repentance to Him! He is almighty.  He made us for His pleasure, to worship Him and love Him. He has given us the Holy Spirit to guide our lives, the Bible to live by, and prayer to talk to Him by.  God has also given us pastors/priests as leaders, but they are no greater than us. We are called to all be disciples and spread God's love to all people wherever that might be.  He wants us to share His word to the homeless,  share His word with the wealthy, share His word to anyone and everyone.  He is not restrained by a gold temple, GOD IS EVERYWHERE AND CAN DO GREAT THINGS ANYWHERE.  

















Maybe I am not getting something here, maybe I am being hypocritical? If anyone has any explanations/comments I would gladly take them! 

My God reigns and I can't wait to meet Him.

Until Then, Glorify His Name.

No comments:

Post a Comment